Engagement Questions for Social Media
Have you been utilizing social media engagement questions as a part of your marketing strategy? If not, you should be!
Organic reach on social media isn’t what it used to be. Social media algorithms favour brands that start conversations and engage their followers. The more engagement you get on your posts (especially comments and shares, not just “likes”), the more reach your brand will continue to get on social media.
On Facebook, Instagram, and most of the platforms, the more comments your post gets, the more the algorithm will continue to show it in people’s newsfeeds. The result is more eyes on your brand overall; with engagement questions gaining visibility, the algorithm tends to show your other brand and sales posts more consistently too.
A simple way to get more engagement from your audience is to pose questions—delivered via an eye-catching graphic—that are quick, easy, fun, and irresistible to answer. After all, people use social media to be, well… social, and everyone loves talking and sharing information about themselves!
At Barker Social, we have really tapped into the power of engagement questions and have used them to boost our clients’ reach and drive their sales. Of course, not every brand will suit every type of engagement question, but for certain brands, like the community that our client Unique in the Creek has built, it’s been just the ticket to drive brand visibility and skyrocket sales. (We’ve included some of the engagement graphics we’ve made for them in this client in the content below.)
If you’re looking for some great questions to get your social media followers commenting, liking, and sharing, here’s an extensive list of social media engagement question ideas!
Engagement Question Ideas for Social Media
- If you won a million dollars TODAY, what would be the first thing you’d do?
- What was the first concert you ever attended?
- Have you binge-watched anything good recently? What was it?
- What’s the best thing you’ve ever eaten?
- What movie have you seen at least 5 times and still enjoy watching?
- _______ always makes me smile.
- You can add 3 toppings on your hot dog. What are you adding?
- You can only put 3 toppings on your pizza. What are they?
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
- When you order takeout, what kind of food is your go-to?
- What was your favourite childhood television show?
- If you could choose one food to be calorie-free for the rest of your life, which food would you choose?
- You just won a lifetime supply of the last thing you bought. What do you have?
- Cooking by Recipe or Intuition?
- What do you associate with (colour)?
- What’s your favourite way to relax after a long day?
- Explain your pet’s name without saying the actual name.
- If you could pick up one new skill overnight, what would it be?
- What’s the first thing you do in the morning to prepare for the day?
- Refer to your pets as your “roommate.” Tell us something that your roommate does!
- Morning Person or a Night Owl?
- What’s your favourite cereal of all-time?
- What’s your go-to cocktail?
- Refer to your pets as your “roommate.” Tell us something that your roommate does!
- Plan your ultimate dinner party guest list: 1) One person who’s deceased. 2) One person who’s alive. 3) One person who’s fictional. Go!
- Peanut Butter: Chunky or Smooth?
- What’s your favourite kind of pie?
- Video call or old-fashioned phone call?
- What flavour of cake would you choose for your birthday? (photo choices)
- Do you make the bed every morning?
- If you could travel anywhere right now, where would you go?
- My all-time favourite book is ____________.
- What’s your favourite board or card game?
- The Anti-Bucket List: Name something you’ll NEVER do!
- Have you ever met a celebrity? Tell us who!
- If I were to break into your house and steal what was on top of your fridge, what would I be getting?
- Red wine, white wine, or rose?
- Roadtrip or Staycation?
- Do you have kids? Grandkids? How many?
- How do you take your coffee?
- What’s something your spouse/partner does that drives you crazy?
- What’s your guilty pleasure?
- What are your most frequently used emojis?
- Roller coasters: Love them or hate them?
- Does pineapple go on pizza?
- What was your first car?
- What’s your favourite type of doughnut?
- What’s your favourite flavour of ice cream?
- Name a weird food combination that should not work, but does.
- Does the person flying in the middle seat get both armrests?
- How do you like your steak? (photo choices)
- Coffee or tea?
- Which make better pets: Cats or Dogs?
- What’s the best show on Netflix?
- Would you go skydiving for $100,000?
- Raisins: Yay or nay?
- Other than family, what are 3 things you love?
- Husbands are good for __________.
- Age yourself with a store.
- Does pineapple belong in carrot cake?
- What’s the best dessert: Cake or Ice Cream?
- What is one movie you’re confident you’ve seen at least 10 times?
- What’s your superpower?
- Post an older TV show that today’s kids have probably never heard of!
- You’ve been kidnapped. 24 hours later you are returned because you can’t stop talking about __________?
- If you were forced to spend your life in one season would it be A) Spring B) Summer C) Fall 4) Winter
- For the perfect brownie do you choose an edge piece or a centre piece?
- Name a song with a woman’s name in the title.
- Find your Royal Name – 1. Lord or Lady, 2. Your pet’s name, 3. The last thing you ate, 4. Add “of”, 5. The last place you shopped
- Pick a house to live in! (photo choices)
- Show us your pets! Upload a photo of your fur babies in the comments so we can admire them!
- Upload the 4th photo on your phone. No explanation!
- Do you still have friends from 20 years ago? Give them a shout out in the comments!
- Name a meal where the leftovers are just as good, maybe better!
- We want to see our (name) community! Post a selfie!
- What’s your hometown known for?
- What decade had the best music?
- You have to wear your last text message on a shirt. What does it say?
- You’re now cursed with the job the main character has in the last movie/TV show you watched. What’s your new profession?
- You get to switch careers for one week! What job do you choose?
- What is something you would rather pay to have done than do yourself?
- The cast of the last show you watched is planning your (birthday party/wedding)! Who’s planning your (party/wedding)?
- What’s a word your child mispronounced when they were young that was adorable & hilarious?
- You’re trapped in a room for 3 days. All you have is 3 shows to binge watch. Go!
- What’s a song that you can never get enough of that most people have probably never heard?
- When was the last time you got dressed up? What was the occasion?
- You can only stock your bar with one spirit. What do you choose? (choices)
- If you were an Olympian, what would your sport be?
- What’s your most prized recipe?
- Name one specific thing that got you in trouble at school.
- Did you ever skip school? (And did you get caught?)
- You’re cooking a savoury dish and it’s missing a little something. What’s that one herb or spice you most often reach for?
- How do you like your toast? (photo choices)
SEASONAL OR HOLIDAY-SPECIFIC
Fall, Halloween & Thanksgiving
- Candy Corn: Yay or Nay?
- What’s your favourite chocolate bar?
- What was your favourite costume of all-time?
- Halloween: Stay home and hand out candy or go to a party?
- Haunted Houses: Yay or Nay?
- What’s your favourite scary movie?
- Have you ever had a paranormal experience? Tell us about it!
- Pumpkin Spice: Love it or Hate it?
- Apple Pie or Pumpkin Pie?
- What’s your favourite thing about fall?
- It’s Thanksgiving! What are you thankful for?
- More ideas coming soon!
Winter & The Holidays
- Hot Cider or Hot Cocoa?
- Christmas Cake: Yuck or Yum?
- Eggnog: Love it or Hate it?
- Gingerbread or Sugar Cookies?
- Stay In or Go Out?
- What’s your favourite holiday movie?
- When it’s cold outside… Mittens or Gloves?
- It’s winter here in (place)… What’s the weather & temperature like today where you are?
- New Year’s Eve Drinks: Choose One (insert choices)
- Skating or Sledding?
- Cranberry Sauce: Homemade or Canned?
- What’s your favourite Christmas song?
- Turkey or Ham?
- Real Tree or Fake Tree?
- White Christmas or Tropical Christmas?
- What’s the best gift you’ve ever given?
- What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?
- How far in advance do you start (insert activity here) for a holiday?
- New Year’s Resolutions: Yay or Nay?
- What is your New Year’s Resolution?
- More ideas coming soon!
- What’s your favourite romantic comedy?
- What are your favourite love songs?
- What are your all-time favourite on-screen romances?
- Would you rather receive chocolate or flowers?
- Roses or a seasonal bouquet?
- Describe your perfect romantic date.
- How do you show your friends you love them?
- What’s the best gift you’ve ever been given?
- The perfect romantic dinner: What’s on the menu?
- Cinnamon Hearts or Conversation Hearts?
- Who was your teen heartthrob?
- Mini Eggs or Creme Eggs?
- Marshmallow Peeps: Yay or Nay?
- What do you put in your Easter baskets?
- What’s your most-cherished Easter tradition?
- Gardeners, when do you start your seedlings?
- What will you grow in your garden this year? Flowers? Herbs? Vegetables? Tell us all about it!
- Do you prefer Daylight Saving Time, or Daylight Standard Time?
- On a scale from 1-10 how disoriented do you feel from the time change?
- Spring Cleaning or Spring Gardening?
- April Fools! What’s the best prank you’ve ever pulled?
- Tulips or Lilies?
- Pick 2 activities for the perfect summer Saturday! (choices)
- What’s your favourite summer temperature? (choices)
- Swimming or Sunbathing?
- BBQ or Picnic?
- Are you having a nice summer? Show us a recent photo from your phone that shows how your summer is going!
- Choose a summer cocktail! (photo choices)
- Pick a frozen summer treat! (photo choices)
- Pick a popsicle flavour! (photo choices)
- Choose your summer camping accommodations! (photo choices)
- Who runs the backyard grill in the summer?
- Summer potluck! What are you bringing?
- What’s one thing you’d like to do before summer ends?
- Great American Pastimes: Baseball or Football?
- How are you celebrating (insert patriotic holiday here)?
- How many of these famous (country) places have you been to?
- How many states have you visited?
- What’s your favourite thing about living in (place)?
- What is your favourite (American/Canadian/other) vacation spot?
More Miscellaneous Engagement Question Ideas
- Do you live in a Super Bowl home? What team are you rooting for?
- Vote: Will the groundhog see his shadow this year?
- St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner… Who has some Irish in them?
- You found a pot o’ gold! What’s the first thing you’re doing with your riches?
- Do you have a lucky charm? What is it?
- Have you kissed the Blarney Stone?
- If you could catch a leprechaun and have ONE wish granted, what would it be?
- It’s Fat Tuesday! How do YOU do pancakes?
- The perfect Mother’s Day Brunch: What’s on the menu?
- How many of these Momisms did your mom say? (list)
- What’s one invaluable piece of advice or wisdom your mom gave you?
- Tell us a dad joke!
- What’s something practical your dad taught you that you’ll never forget?
- Does it matter anymore if you wear white after Labour Day?
The Possibilities for Engagement Questions are Endless!
This list is not exhaustive. We are always adding new engagement questions for our clients on a weekly basis. (So be sure to check back for more updates.) The key is to come up with questions that are fun and easy to answer, and that make people want to answer and engage.
Need help with your social media marketing and overall digital marketing strategy? We can help. Get in touch for a free marketing consultation and let’s discuss how to use social media to grow your brand.
No comments yet.